Buntain Insurance Group of Companies
Personal Information Protection Policy
At Buntain Insurance Group of Companies, we are committed to providing our clients with exceptional service. As providing this service involves the collection, use and disclosure of personal information about our clients, protecting their personal information is one of our highest priorities.
While we have always respected our clients’ privacy and safeguarded their personal information, we have strengthened our commitment to protecting personal information as a result of British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). PIPA which came into effect on January 1, 2004 sets out the ground rules for how B.C businesses and non-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information.
We will inform our clients of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
This Personal Information Protection Policy, in compliance with PIPA, outlines the principles and practices we will follow in protecting clients’ personal information. Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality and security of our clients’ personal information and allowing our clients to request access to and correction of, their personal information.
The Personal Information Protection Policy applies to the Buntain Insurance Group of Companies including Buntain Insurance Agencies Ltd., and Buntain Insurance Agencies (GLG) Ltd. This policy also applies to any service providers collecting, using or disclosing personal information on behalf of the Buntain Insurance Group of Companies.
Personal Information – means information about about an identifiable individual, full name, birthdate, home address, home phone number, personal cell phone number, e-mail address, employment information, marital status. Personal Information does not include information (described below).
Contact Information – means information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business and includes name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business e-mail or business fax number. Contact information is not included under PIPA and not part of our policy.
Privacy Officer – means the individual designated responsibility for ensuring that Buntain Insurance Group of Companies complies with this policy and PIPA.
Policy 1 – Collecting Personal Information
- Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the client voluntarily provides his or her personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
- We will only collect client information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To verify identity
- To understand the insurance needs of our clients
- Assess the clients need for other insurance products
- To apply for insurance coverage
- To process authorized payments
Policy 2 – Consent
2.1 We will obtain client consent to collect, use or disclose personal information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
2.2 Consent can be provided orally, in writing, or electronically, or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting, using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the client voluntarily provides personal information for this purpose.
2.3 Subject to certain exceptions (e.g. personal information is necessary to provide the service or product, or the withdrawal of consent would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation), clients can withhold or withdraw their consent for Buntain Insurance Group of Companies to use their information in certain ways. A client’s decision to withhold or withdraw their consent to certain uses of personal information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product. If so, we will explain the situation to assist in making the decision.
2.4 We may collect, use or disclose personal information without the client’s knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law
- In an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health or personal security
- When the personal information is available from a public source (e.g. telephone directory)
- When we require legal advice from a lawyer
- For the purposes of collecting a debt
- To protect ourselves from fraud
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law
Policy 3 – Using and Disclosing Personal Information
3.1 We will only disclose client personal information where necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection:
- To verify identity
- To apply for Insurance Coverage
- To understand insurance needs of our clients
- To assess our clients’ need for other insurance products
- To process authorized payments (credit card and monthly financing programs)
- To communicate with our client, including e-mailing of policy documents
To secure insurance coverage we may ask the following personal information about you including:
- Basic information such as your name, address telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, cell phone number, birthdate and marital status
- Claims history
- Credit and past payment records
- Driver’s record/ ICBC Plate Number
- Details about your property/insured location required to fully underwrite the risk
- Medical information to secure travel insurance
- Employment information
We may obtain this information from:
- Insurance Companies
- Other Insurance Brokers
- Motor Vehicle and Driver’s License Authorities/ ICBC
- Medical Professionals
- Financial Institutions and Mortgage lenders
We may disclose your personal information to the following:
- Insurance Companies
- Soft credit checks by Insurance Companies with your prior authorization
- Professionals working with you or the Buntain Insurance Group of Companies such as lawyers, notaries, appraisers or adjustors only with respect to policy coverages
- Financial Institutions and Mortgage lenders only with respect to relative coverage information
3.2 We will not use or disclose client personal information for any additional purpose unless we obtain consent to do so.
3.3 We will not sell client lists of personal information to other parties.
Policy 4 – Retaining Personal Information
4.1 If we use client personal information to make a decision that directly affects the client, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that the client has a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
4.2 Subject to policy 4.1, we will retain clients’ personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purpose or as required by law.
Policy 5 – Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
5.1 We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that client personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about the client or disclosed to another organization.
5.2 Clients may request correction(s) to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought.
5.3 If the personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required and send the corrected information to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information previously. We will make a note of the clients’ correction request on file.
Policy 6 – Securing Personal Information
6.1 We are committed to ensuring the security of client personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks.
6.2 The following security measures will be followed to ensure that the client information if appropriately protected:
- Secured and alarmed offices
- Password protected access to our computer system
- Customer Screens will be closed when our employees are away from their terminal
6.3 We will use appropriate security measures when destroying client’s personal information such as shredding documents, deleting electronically stored information.
6.4 We will continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure ongoing personal information security.
Policy 7 – Providing Clients Access to Personal Information
7.1 Clients have a right to access their personal information subject to limited exceptions.
7.2 A request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient details to identify the personal information being sought.
7.3 Upon request, we will also tell clients how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable.
7.4 We will make the requested information available within 30 business days.
7.5 If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the client in writing, providing the reasons for the refusal and the recourse available to the client.
Policy 8 – Questions and Complaints: The Role of the Privacy Officer or designated individual
8.1 The Privacy Officer or designated individual is responsible for ensuring Buntain Insurance Group of Companies compliance with this policy and the Personal Information Protection Act.
8.2 Clients should direct any complaints, concerns and questions regarding Buntain Insurance Group of Companies compliance in writing to the Privacy Officer. If the Privacy Officer is unable to resolve this concern, the client may also write to the information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
Contact Information for Buntain Insurance Group of Companies Privacy Officer:
1586 West Broadway, Vancouver BC